Cycling

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Food Poisoning due to Bad Cheese

Last week, I was on my way to work when I passed by the American Classic Bakery at Sherman Street. Since I know that the drive may take some time and my car radio is still shot, I decided to buy one of their Cream Cheese Raspberries, which is basically a dry cheesecake with raspberry filling strips. I ate it on the drive to work.

The taste was very average, nothing to write home about. But what is extraordinary with American Classic Bakery's raspberry cheesecake is that they can be fatal. As soon as I stepped in the office, I felt sharp pains in my stomach and it would seem like my rectal muscles were about to burst. I made a beeline for the comfort room and did my business, thinking it was just run of the mill indigestion, which probably resulted from being nervous because I was almost late for work. I have already forgotten about American classic bakery's raspberry cheesecake, which I ate. It was very easy to forget since they were small enough to eat in a couple of bites and it didn't taste exceptionally well.

When I got back to my cubicle, I drank a cup of water to replace the liquids that I lost due to my bowel movement, but in less than 30 minutes, I felt my stomach churning again, and made another trip to the comfort room. I figured that maybe I wasn't finished with my bowel movement a while ago, and this is the last time I had to go for the day.

By the time I went back to my cubicle, I realized I was wrong. I had to go to the comfort room again for another bout of tedious and by now painful bowel movement. I have already recounted everything that I ate in the morning and the only different and suspicious food on the list is the raspberry cheesecake bought from Fernando's Bakery or American Classic Bakery as they like to call themselves.

After going back from the comfort room, I decided to take medicine against diarrhoea, because I was already excreting my digestive juices, and it was very painful. The medicine worked and I stopped feeling any discomfort in my stomach. Unfortunately, the diarrhoea was replaced by vomiting and I started hurling in my cubicle, which prompted my officemates to take me to the nearest hospital.

The doctor's findings was that I ingested spoiled dairy products, and the only dairy product I had for two days was of course, Fernandos Bakery's raspberry CHEESEcake. It seemed odd at first since the product I bought was sealed in plastic, but the doctor said they cheese or milk could have gone bad already even before the product was baked. This is clearly the result of negligence and bad business practice on the part of American Classic Bakery. I advise not buying from them again. I will let poor customer service slide, but putting a customer's life in danger is a very serious matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home